Re: Sunspot??

Hi Keith,

Yes it is possible to see them.  In the 1957-1958 time period during the
International Geophysical Year I was riding a bus to work in Dallas,
Texas.  The sun was just coming up in a hazy dawn so that the sun was as
you said you saw it.  It was an orange color and you could comfortably look
directly at it.  It was even better looking through the blue tinted part of
the glass.  At that time I saw 3-4 sunspots on the sun very distinctly.
One was much larger than the rest.  During this time we even had aurora as
far south as Dallas.  At night the sky had an redish glow to the north that
was so noticable that people were calling into the TV stations wanting to
know where the "big fire" was up north of the city.

Knowing what we do now, even though I doubt any danger occured with that
dim amount of radiation, I would hesitate now to look directly at the sun
without protective glasses.  As you say it is a startling sight to see sun
spots with the protected but naked eye.

--
73, Roy

Internet: w0sl@amsat.org