To full-duplex or not to full-duplex....?

With the interesting and rather emotional reaction I've noted here regarding
the
question of duplex versus full-duplex, many who replied expressed a wide
range of
techniques.  Other than for tuning your uplink required in some modes, I will
close
my side of the debate with this comment.  And that is, at least on the single
channel
birds, as long as you can hear the bird's downlink and the channel is clear,
propper
operating technique allows for you to begin transmitting as desired.  This
practice
is no different than that which one would use in terestrial communications.
If you
can't hear them, you can't very well work em.  The FM birds capture effect
will sort
out who made it and who didn't.  So when the next QSO has begun, you no longer
need to be listening for your own downlink, you instead need to remove your
finger
from the PTT button and listen for the conclusion of that QSO before trying
again.

73, Elmer
K5PK