From: osei@ssdnotes.wwb.noaa.gov
To: ke6qis@juno.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:48:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: GOES-L Launched Successfully!!

To:  Geostationary Satellite Server Users:

NASA Press Release:  "The fourth in a series of five of the most
sophisticated weather spacecraft ever built, soared into space
this morning at 3:07 a.m. EDT from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.
 The Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite
(GOES)-L spacecraft was carried in space aboard aLockheed Martin Atlas
IIA rocket. Twenty-seven minutes later,
the spacecraft separated from the Centaur stage.  At approximately 4:22
a.m., controllers successfully deployed the
outer panel of the solar array, making the spacecraft power positive and
allowing the batteries to charge".

GOES-L will be called GOES-11.  More info will be at
http://www.nesdis.noaa.gov"; and
http://pao.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/earth/goesl/goesl.htm.

Also, I want to take the opportunity to say goodbye to all Geostationary
Satellite Server (GSS) users.  I will be leaving NOAA
on May 19, 2000.  I will be moving to Florida to work for the Department
of Interior's Fish and Wildlife Service.  Among all
the things I will do there, one of them is to manage their internet
services for the products they provide to the public.  My new
site address will be http://www.nwi.fws.gov and I will be the Director of
this center.

The GSS began in January 1996 and has been serving the public with
reliable GOES imagery since that time.
Thanks to you all for the many notes, ideas, and support over the years.
You made this project worthwhile for me and I can tell from
your feedback that it is a valuable public service.  I am sure my
successors will continue to provide great service to you
as many good things are still to come at http://www.goes.noaa.gov.

Thanks,
Steve Ambrose