CI-V help wanted

Can anybody offer some help setting up my Icom R10 for CI-V control?
I am using a home-brewed CI-V interface (using the MC1488/1489 chips) which
works well. I am using Clive Wallis's CTERM terminal emulation program to
read the data. So far, all works well for reading data from the rig.
However, I can't seem to get the rig to respond to commands sent from the
PC. I have checked that signals are reaching the receiver when I hit keys on
the PC, and I have verified that the CI-V port is operating correctly by
cloning through it. I suspect that I am not formatting the data properly
from the keyboard.

I know that there are programs available to do this, but I want to build a
special purpose package to run under DOS on an old 386. I have a list of the
commands for the Icom R10, but can somebody advise me how to enter the hex
data sequence from the keyboard?

I apologize for the off-topic use of AMSAT's bandwidth.