RE: 70cm amps

----------
From:  Chris Williams[SMTP:cwilliams@clubnet.net]
Sent:  Thursday, April 27, 2000 12:06 PM
To:  Walls, Jim R
Cc:  amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject:  Re: [amsat-bb] 70cm amps

On Thur. April 27, 2000 Jim Walls/K6CCC wrote:
>Just my opinion based on our experiences with TE Systems amps - AVOID THEM
>LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Further noted:
>We have redesigned the thermal design and they are
>better, but we will NEVER buy another one.

Then Chris Williams asked:

> Have you selected an alternate manufacturer for your 222Mhz repeater
> power amps, and would you recommend them?

And back to me for the replies:

After rebuilding most of the TE Systems amps (twice) we finally seem to have
them reliable (so far).  We do have one Mirage and had some problems with
that (control circuit, not RF related) but that seems to be working OK now.
If we build another repeater, I'm not sure what we'll use.  The choices on
220 are less than on 2M or 70cm.

> Also, do you have any recommendations for a 70cm amp for satellite/
> weak signal work?

Personally I have several mirage amps at home and have had very little
problem except with a D26 I was using for AM FSATV (it did not work well for
that application). I'm not sure what I would recommend.

73