Re: Globalstar

At 06:00 PM 4/25/00 -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>Great, I didnt want to bother you, but I have a team of students that
>thinks they are going to be able to use a Qualcomm phone IN A SATELLITE.
>Just call it up when you want data.  I asked if they had done the link
>budget and got dumb stares.

Even if you get the link budget to work, I think you'd have some serious
problems with Doppler, changes in propagation delay due to motion, and
absolute errors in the propagation delay due to the phone being in an
unexpected location.

These high-tech communications systems are *complicated*. Violate
any one of the design assumptions, and chances are it won't work.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org