Re: coax seal

At 22:24 2000-04-19 , John Harrington wrote:
>I agree- very good tips.  You also may want to consider using Scotch
>130C
>self-sealing tape in the first few layers.  This tape, when streched
>tightly, fuses to the layers underneath and makes an almost perfectly
>sealed covering.  The technique is to stretch the tape to about half
>its' original width when taping, and overlaying the new turn over
>about half of the previous turn.  This is called "half-lapping".
>The 130C should be covered with an overwrap of tightly-streched
>Scotch 33, 33+, or 88 tape.  Relax the tension on the last few
>turns, to eliminate the tendancy to unravel.  You can get any of
>the 3M tapes at any electrical wholesale house.
>  John  W5EME

Hi All

I want to warn everyone about stretching the tape tight. When you make the tape
that tight you are adding several hundred pounds of clamping force on the coax
and you WILL compress the coax in time and start to have problems with it. The
best way is to just use 33 and just pull it snug and apply a coat of scotch
coat and then put another wrap of 33 on it and seal the whole thing up with
scotch coat again making sure you get a good coat at both ends of the tape,
i.e.: coax and connector. If you do it this way all you have to do to remove it
is cut the tape and it will just peal off and you will have a clean connector.
Don't put the scotch coat on the coax or connector first as you will never get
it cleaned off if you need to take the connector apart.

73, Bill N4XEO

E- Mail        mailto:n4xeo@amsat.org
home page: http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
F.A.D.C.A.: http://www.fcrosby.com/fadca