RE: More RS-15 revisited: W6-Europe

Hi Dennis,
   Those low passes can be brutal on a 10m downlink. I'm just trying to have
a QSO on the bird so I'll worry about DX later but when I do, you can get a
3 element monobander for something like $80 and it's probably light enough
for an Az-El set up so that's probably what I'll try next to attempt DX via
the bird. I was nearly stunned at how well my turnstile did, however.
Between the performance and that it was basically built out of junk that was
sitting around, I figured it may be worth mentioning if it drums up at least
one signal that isn't mine.

   I'm not so sure a lot of satellite ops are looking to "push the
envelope". The other use of a satellite is basically that of a repeater and
that's fine too except that towards that end, the LEOs don't work very well.
They're not present for long, the SSB/CW birds are a little harder to use
than the FM birds and the FM birds are hard to use because you have to
repeat your name and grid a half dozen times to get it across. AO-10 could
work but it's unreliable. That's where P3D will shine and while I'm excited
for P3D to get underway, I've managed an SSTV contact on RS-13, have been
holding Feld-Hell QSOs on the FO birds (which works surprisingly well, by
the way. Better than even CW at times!) and I'm nearly obsessed with RS-15
"because it's there". I think the other problem with RS-15 is, as I
mentioned, most people probably don't hear it the first few times they try
and dismiss it as another non-bird like RS-10/11 and RS-12. A search around
the web for these satellites will turn up lots of "how to" info and "QRV
spots"  that read "I'm active on RS-13, RS-15, FO-20, FO-29 and AO-10" which
gives the impression that RS-15 should be as easy as RS-13 or FO-20 when, in
fact, it's not. Oh well, I'll be there.

Thanks for your comments & 73...Mark - KB3CWS