More RS-15 revisited: W6-Europe

>Yes, RS-15 is still there! I'm generally able to start hearing myself at
>about 30 degrees AOS and continue until about 20 degrees before LOS which
>doesn't sound great until you realize the size of it's footprint. I haven't
>heard the beacon in at least a couple of weeks but I'm becoming convinced
>that it's not a bad thing as the transponder seems to be on all the time
>these days. Of course, now that I've written this, it will probably prove me
>a liar and do something bizarre for a couple weeks.

Along these lines, on 14 Jan 1995, G3IOR and I had a QSO on RS-15.  I
copied Pat 339, he gave me 559.  The distance was 8721 km.  I believe
this is the farthest DX ever attained on any LEO.  It took a week of
daily schedules to finally achieve a true 2-way contact using mutual
windows of only 15-30 seconds.  All windows were on the horizon, of
course.

In June of 1995, GM4JJJ and I tried RS-15 also.  I could hear David
fine from Fife, Scotland, but he couldn't hear me.  David then
fashioned a dual diversity setup using two receivers and two antennas
on 10 meters.  On 1 June 1995 we suceeded in a very good QSO which
lasted nearly two minutes.  I copied David 559, he gave me 529.
Distance was 8261 km.

The station here was a 16el KLM on 2m at 150 w and a special 2el 10m
beam which I designed for Oscar only using Yagi Optimizer.  I believe
Pat & David's stations were also 100w class.

There doesn't seem to be much interest anymore in "pushing the
envelope" on LEO's.  Too bad.  FO-20 has always allowed the
opportunity for long distance communication because of the high
apogee of it's eliptical orbit.

     /  /  /  /  /      * Dennis Dinga           * dennis@dinga.com
    /--/--/--/--/       * 1024 Twin Canyon       * n6dd@amsat.org
   /  /  /| /  /  N6DD  * Diamond Bar, CA 91765  * Tel: 909-860-1515