Re: Special ANS Release

Dan James wrote:

 > ANS has learned that the launch of Arianespace Ariane 506 (Flight 130)
 > with the Astra-2B and GE-7 communication satellites from Kourou, French
 > Guiana has been delayed. The launch, originally scheduled for
 > May 23, 2000 has been rescheduled for late July.
 >
 > At this time AMSAT-NA and AMSAT-DL are unaware of what effect this
 > delay will have concerning the launch of the Phase 3D satellite.

Here is the text of the news release, obtained from
   http://www.arianespace.com/news_release.html

=======================================
Arianespace Reschedules Launch

4/11/00
The next mission of the Ariane 5 heavy-lift launcher has been postponed
due to the unavailability of the Astra 2B satellite ­ one of the two
payloads planned for this mission.

Originally scheduled for May 23, Flight 130 was slated to have lofted
Astra 2B for the Société Européenne de Satellites (SES) and the GE-7
satellite for U.S. operator GE Americom.

The lift-off of Arianespace’s next mission, Flight 129, is on schedule
for April 18. This launch will carry the Galaxy IVR satellite for
PanAmSat Corporation of the U.S., and will use an Ariane 4 equipped
with two liquid-propellant strap-on boosters.

July is new target for Flight 130

Arianespace is now planning Flight 130 for July, with the choice of
launch vehicle to be based on the availability of customer satellite
payloads.

Arianespace is working with its clients to revise the launch manifest
over the near- and medium term, with mission timing and choice of
launcher versions depending on the delivery of its customer
satellites in French Guiana.

Gee, since flight 130 was scheduled to use an Ariane 5 launch
platform, and they are postponing the flight because one of
the payloads is not ready, and since P3D is scheduled to fly
on an Ariane 5 launch platform (flight 132), and we know that
P3D is on site and ready to go, wouldn't it be nice if. . .

You get the idea I'm dreaming of, no doubt!  ;-)