SEC: UNCLASSIFIED - RE: the GOOD OIL [info]

Last week I gave the 'good oil' [info] on FEDSAT.

N2ARB Phil Caldwell was the only non-Australian to ask me what this meant.
(Thanks, Phil.)

Aussies know the term!
So, here is a little dribble of "Australian cultural imperialism" to counter
the torrent of "American cultural imperialism" that the world is constantly
braced to withstand.

The Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms says,

oil	Reliable information, esp. in expressions like 'the dinkum oil' [see
below], and 'the good oil'.
Citations:
1916	C.J. Dennis [author] "The Moods of Ginger Mick"
1919	W.H. Downing "Digger Dialects"
.... Up till
1982	Northern Territory News (Darwin) 4 June

oil rag, to live/run on the small of an...
Metaphor for the ability to survive on minimum food or income [listed as a
Irish expression... (1910)]
[Now, typically used to describe a car that is very fuel efficient. ]

dinkum 	adjective & adverb	Authentic, genuine, esp. in the expression
"fair dinkum' ('on the level')
Citations:
1894	[First cited as being used by a Chief Justice in examining a
witness.]

Wilkes G.A. (1978, 2nd Edn 1985), "A Dictionary of Australian
Colloquialisms" (Sydney: Sydney University Press) ISBN 0 424 00113 6

So, I gave you the 'good oil' - the 'dinkum oil' - about FEDSAT.

Let's hope that P3D has some GREAT oil onboard.

Peter R. Ellis VK1KEP
peter.ellis@cbr.defence.gov.au