HELIX Ground plane

I just got a NASA surplus long HELIX antenna, but the "L" shaped radials
for the ground plane were all removed and just taped to the side.  The
eight "L" shaped radials can be attached such that they come out and UP or
OUT and down.  The length of the sides of the "L" are about 1/2 wavelength
each.

Thus you can arrange the radials to from a "cage" either behind the helix,
or surrounding the first turn of the helix.  I think the latter is the
correct arrangement.  ANyone know for sure?

Bob