SEC: UNCLASSIFIED - FEDSAT - the GOOD info

I have the information on FEDSAT.
The 'scoop'!
The 'good oil'!
PLEASE quiet down, now!

I have just spoken to Geoff Kingwell, the Manager of CRCSS that is managing
the building and launching of FEDSAT. I'll report the MESSAGE of what we
discussed., rather than our words, so please do not take this as a direct
quote.
*	He was VERY sorry that he mistakenly mentioned 'ham' frequencies,
and said that his email system has been running hot.
*	He was TRYING to imply to a domestic Australian audience that they
would need something more sophisticated than a Walkman AM/FM or bedside
radio to hear FEDSAT, but that this should not stop people from
participating in getting a snippet of their voice into orbit.
*	I suggested that he talk of 'scanners' next time.
*	He has learned a LOT about Amateurs from this, and now appreciates
what we (and AMSAT) are about and what we can do.
*	He did know quite a bit about 'small satellite systems' as one can
understand he would.

*	From their Web page...
Communications System
The platform communications link is based on the SIL series of standard
S-band equipment. The subsystem will provide down-link data rates of up to 1
Mbps, and an output power of 2W. Suppressed carrier, binary phase shift
keyed (BPSK) modulation is employed, conforming to European and NASA
standards.

The on-board receiver is a flexible, low-cost, and high performance device,
with a sophisticated all digital sub-carrier demodulator. The receiver
accepts telecommand data BPSK modulated on to a sub-carrier, with up-link
rates of between 8 bps and 4 kbps. Redundancy will be provided through the
experimental communications payload, with a UHF up-link at 4 kbps, and a
Ka-band down-link with 125 kbps or 250 kbps capability.

Communications are secured using two separate S-band receive and transmit
antennae on the top and bottom of the spacecraft. These antennae communicate
with the central Data Handling System (DHS) via the Packet Telecommand
Decoder (PTD) and the Telemetry Processor Unit (TPU), described below.

*	He tells me that the three frequencies are:
UHF	400.4MHz
S	2.205GHz
Ka	20.13GHz

*	See..
CRCSS (Cooperative Research Centre for Space Systems) <
http://www.crcss.csiro.au/ <http://www.crcss.csiro.au/>  >
within Australia's
CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation)
on the campus of the Australian National University, Canberra, Australian
Capital Territory. (i.e. it's in VK1)
Use "Page Down" a few times.
There is also an 'engineering' page with some system diagrams.

I told him about how there were hundreds/thousands of Amateurs around the
world eagerly awaiting and gearing up for Phase 3D, of whom there are quite
a few in Australia and elsewhere who are probably willing and ready to track
it!

I have given him some contact details for AMSAT (and for the local Amateurs)
and suggested that, in due course, well before the launch, he should send an
email to THIS LIST with details of the satellite, downlinks, KEPS, etc, and
ASK that the Amateur Radio community ASSIST in tracking FEDSAT during its
immediate post-launch phase.

I figured that Amateurs are willing and able to help when people ask nicely.

Please live up to the good PR I tried to get for us...

Like I said, PLEASE calm down now!

Peter VK1KEP
In VK1, the Australian Capital Territory
(biggest city is Canberra, the Capital of Australia)
(and it's also home to one of NASA's three Deep Space Network stations at
Tidbinbilla)
peter.ellis@cbr.defence.gov.au