From: Gordon Pearce [mailto:gordon.pearce@usa.net]
Sent: Thursday, 6 April 2000 14:39
To: vk3rse@lists.atctraining.com.au
Subject: vk3rse: Fwd: [Re: FedSat]

Well, looks like it's definitely not Beatnik II. I got a very fast response
from Jeff, he seems to be an extremely helpful fellow (Richard VK2SKY was
right!). His reply follows:

Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 14:10:33 +1000
To: Gordon Pearce <gordon.pearce@usa.net>
From: Jeff Kingwell <jeff.kingwell@crcss.csiro.au >
Subject: Re: FedSat

Hi Gordon

The "SpaceGrams" service is really designed so that Australians can leave a
message that will be recorded onto a CD-ROM carried on the satellite as a
passive
payload. It is like signing a visitor's book. The satisfaction involved for
the individual is in knowing that their message will be in space for about
100 years, the
approximate lifetime of  FedSat in orbit. The number to call to leave a
SpaceGrams message is 1902 974 001 (charge of $3.95/minute applies).

FedSat is a scientific satellite and will gather data on the Earth's
magnetic field and upper atmosphere. It will also test new Australian
technologies in communications
(Ka and UHF bands), and new concepts in satellite on-board computers. As
well, FedSat will carry a GPS receiver, which will help us track the
satellite accurately.

The UHF package will also be used to collect and relay environmental data.
Satellite telemetry is in S-band.

The downlink frequencies of FedSat are 400.4 Mhz, 2205.0000 MHz and 20.13
GHz. We are considering the possibility of relaying some of the CD content
on
one of these channels, but this is not the main idea of SpaceGrams and we
are not certain that it would be technically possible.

We are interested in testing multi-media transmissions on the Ka band link,
but at the moment we don't have any plans for something similar on UHF.
FedSat is not
carrying imaging sensors, so picture data would have to be from a ground
relay.

Thanks for your interest in the project - and yes, we will certainly post
the orbit predictions closer to the launch date (currently, 1 November
2001). We will
probably run a java program on our home page, showing where FedSat is at a
given time.

Please keep in touch.

Cheers

Jeff
=======================
At 23:10 5/04/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Jeff,
>I am a keen radio monitoring enthusiast, and have been taking an interest
in
>FedSat.
>
>I noted the SatGram Service and was wondering what frequency / frequencies
>will be used to broadcast the messages? I had a look on the ACA database,
but
>all allocated frequencies were for Data.
>
>Will any interesting telemetry or images be transmitted on the UHF
downlink?
>(SHF is out of my reach at this stage).
>
>If there is any other information you can send me on the Radio
Communications
>side of the project I would be grateful.
>
>Finally, one suggestion: Closer to the launch, it would be great if you
could
>post KEPS to your web site.
>
>Thanks, and good luck for the launch.
>
>Regards, Gordon

>Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1

Jeff Kingwell
Centre Manager,
Cooperative Research Centre for Satellite Systems
GPO Box 1483, Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
+ 61 2  62167278 , fax + 61 2 62167272, + 61 2 62167279
mob 0417692123
WWW: <http://www.crcss..csiro.au/>

Call SpaceGrams on 1902 974 001 to leave your space message (Australian
domestic callers only. Charges apply).