Re: [aprssig] Re: Going DIGITAL!

> Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 16:04:52 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Tim Salo <salo@networkcs.com>
> Subject: [aprssig] Re: Going DIGITAL!
> 	[...]
> The Web browser is the universal user interface of the wired world.
> I believe that we should consider making it the universal user interface
> of ham radio.
> 	[...]
> So, it seems to me that the user interface we want for emergency
> communications is a Web browser.  Everybody has one.  Everybody
> knows how to use one.   There is simply the small matter of the
> magic required to buckle a Web browser up to a packet network...
> 	[...]

Apparently, I wasn't entirely clear in my writing.

I received a number of private e-mails of the form "But, during an
emergency the phone lines will be down, so you can't assume that the
Web will be available."

Note that I suggested using _a Web browser_, not _the Web_.

In my mythical world, the Web servers would be embedded in the TNCs and
rigs.  Computers running browsers could connect to the rigs and TNCs
via any medium that can transport IP packets: the Internet, an
Ethernet hub, or an RS-232 cable.  (Just to be perfectly clear, during
an emergency you would be likely to connect a collocated PC and rig/TNC
using local media, such as a cable or a LAN.)

My theme is that the browser is the universal human interace in the
wired world.  Let's us it.

My assumption is that browser skills and Pentium-class PCs are
ubiquitous, vastly more easily to acquire in an emergency than
rigs or TNCs.  (My claim is that some day showing up at an emergency
with a DOS machine will be like showing up with an AM rig or a
Commodore 64.)

And finally, no, I don't know of any TNCs or rigs that contain an
embedded Web server.  But, unless we know where we want to go, we aren't
very likely to get there.

-tjs