RE: Finally Got it together...

> Thanks for all the suggestions... So...
>
> A second Arrow antenaa on the other side of the mast....

That would help compensate for polarisation shifts.

> A Right hand left hand switch for each band, and an AZ/EL
> Rotor (Which is
> actually 2 rotors independantly controlled....)

Good ideas. :-)

> Geesh.. It's no wonder people think that sats are tough to
> work... Watch
> your elevation, adjust your azimuth, now make sure you bump the vfo to
> cmpensate for dopler...
>
> Don't use more than 10 watts, and make sure you have yourself
> spotted in
> while simultaneously **not** transmitting cause god knows you wouldn't
> wanna cause QRM.

Hehehehe.  That's part of the fun of it. :-)

> Am I just insane or is this really the way it is?

Perhaps a few of my experiences will help you decide. ;-)

1.  Find the local train or tram route.  Catch one just _before_ a SO-35
pass is due.  The next part is the fun part, listen on 2m, adjust 70cm for
Doppler (within 5 kHz), adjust orientation of both antennas to compensate
for both satellite signal _AND_ minimum local QRM, all while putting out a
few calls and updating the log book. :-)

2.  Get a few guys from the local radio club and setup a portable station in
a hall with coax out to a pair of beams outside.    Operation takes 4 or 5
people.  One to operate the rigs, one to read azimuth and elevation of the
bird from a handy laptop, one to hold the mast and check the azimuth of the
antenna with a compass, one to turn the beams and apply elevation tilt.  And
a few instructions shouted between inside and outside on a HT. :-)

3.  My typical FM pass isn't quite so bad.  Grab beam and 2 radios.  Tx in
one hand, beam in the other.  The second rig just dangles on its wrist strap
or off the belt.  Set frequencies and aim antenna somewhere near the
relevant point in the sky.  Operation involves simultaneously talking,
listening on the downlink and adjusting the antenna in 3 dimensions (Az, El,
polarisation). :-)  Those who have heard me may sometimes notice my signal
sometimes starts slightly noisy then rapidly gets stronger.  That's due to
said antenna adjustments. :-)  SSB will be interesting with continuous
Doppler adjustment thrown into the bargain. ;-)

I won't even go into some ideas that have been hashed out for possible
future activity.  All I can say is "Stay tuned!" :-)

Perhaps we are all insane, but as long as there's some fun involved. :-)