Re: AMSAT-SM WAP Service

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Bruce Lockhart wrote:

> Just what you always wanted the latest news from AMSAT on your mobile (cell)
> phone.  Our AMSAT-SM  Webb master now WAP master Lars SM0TGU has started
> a WAP service for users of GSM phones supporting WAP.

Neat...
A "somewhat" similar service exists for all users of the Handheld Kenwood
THD7 or mobile TMD700.  If its data channel is tuned to the local APRS
channel, then whenever one of the 7 FM satellites is in view, it will
receive one minute updates of the satellites position (displayed as an
azimuth and range to the bird, plus the satellites frequency and doppler).
And once every 10 minutes it will capture a schedule on its DX-SPOT list
showing a schedule of all brids expected in the next 80 minutes.

THus the handheld or mobile user can work any of these 7 birds without any
prior knowledge, just by noticing when it pops up on the display of his
radio..  (The 7 FM birds that you can receive on these radios are UO22,
KO23,KO25,TO31,SO35,AO27,UO14).

THis assumes that someone in your region is running APRStk which is
providing the source of this data onto the APRS network...

Examples are shown on http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/satinfo.html

So, although the commercial marketplace is talking about cell phones with
WEB access, HAM radio already has the radio that can receive and display
TEXT information and has the channel to deliver it to everyone (APRS).  So
this is just one of many applicaitons that you can see.  For example, WX
bulletins and Warnings also are captured and displayed.  And its ALL ham
radio!

de WB4APR, Bob