WISP, KPC-9612 Plus, FT-847

Have I made a mistake?

I recently purchased the above equipment to use on the 9600 baud Sats.
So far I have had very poor performance with the KPC-9612 Plus and  WISP!
After going thru the archives I see that several others mentioned that they
were
having problems with the 9612+ and WISP! I have yet to see one positive
comment.

Has anyone out there been able to get this TNC working properly with WISP
or have
I made a mistake in my choice of TNCs?
If so is there a concensus  on the best performer?

Thanks

Larry WB3ANQ