Re: New to Sats

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, alf sauve wrote:

> Having just gone through this exercise not too long ago, here's my
> observations.  Your vertical will be somewhat limiting on VHF/UHF but given
> the right pass you should be able to hear something.

Remember, the BEST place to listen for satellites on a vertical is in your
CAR!  The coax loss is much less there than in your home station.
Remember, you dont need a high antenna for satelites, you only need to see
the sky.  So the antenna on your car roof with a reasonable view of the
sky will always do better than any omni that is fed by 50 feet of coax.

So if you are just dabbling in the concept of omni antennas, start there
before you commit to a project to put a vertical on your house roof.

Also, since no omni is going to hear well with the added 6 dB of loss for
satellites at the horizon, dont fuss about getting yoru atnenna high and
in the clear if it means more coax loss.

Just some thoughts.  I monitor all of the 7 FM satelites from my car just
for fun.  Bob

> vertical I can hear some of the passes of the UHF birds, but not all and not
> very strong.    I use a 10m wire dipole and can almost always hear RS13 from
> horizon to horizon.
>
> For RS13, listen on 29.458 for the CW beacon.  That way you won't have tune
> up and down the band wondering if anybody's on.  Once you hear the beacon
> then you can go listen for other stations.
>
> On 2 meters, track UO-11 (145.825).  You can't "work" it but you can listen
> to the packet transmissions and determine how good you receive on 2m.   It's
> on all the time so you don't have to worry about it's "schedule".
>
> Then listen for SO-35 on the same frequency, BUT because of power management
> it's only operational during certain passes.  Primarily I think, weekend
> mornings over North America.  Check the weekly Amsat bulletin for details
> and the SunSat home page.
>
> Then there's AO-10 which has an unmodulated beacon on 145.81 and whose
> downlink is also 2m  (SSB).
>
> On the 70cm band listen for UO-14 on 435.07.  It's on most all passes.
> Rather busy.
> And of course, AO-27 on 436.795.
>
> 73, Alf - W4ADS
> ps  You ever have any relatives in Statesboro, GA?   Seems I remember some
> of my grandmother's friend with that same last name.

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html