Re: New to Sats

Michael,

Having just gone through this exercise not too long ago, here's my
observations.  Your vertical will be somewhat limiting on VHF/UHF but given
the right pass you should be able to hear something.  With my tri-band
vertical I can hear some of the passes of the UHF birds, but not all and not
very strong.    I use a 10m wire dipole and can almost always hear RS13 from
horizon to horizon.

For RS13, listen on 29.458 for the CW beacon.  That way you won't have tune
up and down the band wondering if anybody's on.  Once you hear the beacon
then you can go listen for other stations.

On 2 meters, track UO-11 (145.825).  You can't "work" it but you can listen
to the packet transmissions and determine how good you receive on 2m.   It's
on all the time so you don't have to worry about it's "schedule".

Then listen for SO-35 on the same frequency, BUT because of power management
it's only operational during certain passes.  Primarily I think, weekend
mornings over North America.  Check the weekly Amsat bulletin for details
and the SunSat home page.

Then there's AO-10 which has an unmodulated beacon on 145.81 and whose
downlink is also 2m  (SSB).

On the 70cm band listen for UO-14 on 435.07.  It's on most all passes.
Rather busy.
And of course, AO-27 on 436.795.

73, Alf - W4ADS
ps  You ever have any relatives in Statesboro, GA?   Seems I remember some
of my grandmother's friend with that same last name.