Re: Satellite Power Budgets

 "Joel Black" writes:

> Just curious.  Is it SOP to limit the power budgets on satellites when they
> are "young?"  I ask, because SO-35 is just now operating on more than two
> passes on the weekend.

No. When a satellite is in a sun-synchronous orbit it gets regular lighting
conditions and always appears at the same time of day. In other orbits the
time of day will drift to various extents depending on orbital parameters
so that sometimes it will get lots of eclipsing and sometimes it will get
lots of lighting (sometimes constant).

When SO35 went up it saw lots of eclipses; the orbit has now drifted such
that it gets more illumination. More illumination equals more onboard power
so they can put it on more often without risking a flat battery.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188