Re: Re: Symek IFD Board Installation

Joel,

> Thanks for the reply, John.  I now have a question regarding your IFD
installation.  Are all of your connections (i.e. RF-OUT, RF-IN, and DATA-OUT)
connected to the outside pins of the IFD board?

I cannot remember which way round they are.  I will check when I get home
tonight.

> Second, in the instructions, I thought it said not to connect the GND
connection as the IFD board was grounded with the shields connected to GND on
the 70cm RF board (the mixer and filter connections).  I don't see how this
works.  To me, this is isolating the IFD from GND.  Shouldn't the GND connection
be "made up" somewhere?

Did you not connect the outer shield of the ptfe coax to ground connections at
each end?  The remark in the instructions about not needing to connect to ground
was for the power connections as the ground connection is provided by the outer
shield of the coax.

Let me know if that was the problem,  or am I just reading too much into what
you have said.

P.S.  My Icom-821 complete with CT-17 RS-232 interface and IFD board is for sale
;-)

-- John Melton  n6lyt/g0orx

                Principal Systems Software Engineer
        ((      Sun Microsystems,
      (|~~|     Flour Daniel Centre East, Riverside Way
       `--'     Camberley, Surrey GU15 3YL  England
       JAVA     Phone: +44 1276 416297  (internal ext 16297)
                Email: john.melton@uk.sun.com