Re: Antennas

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 Mercxx@aol.com wrote:

>      As a new guy I was wondering are there any favorite
> omni directional antennas that I could utlize to
> work the Satellites?

You'll get lots of answers.  But a 20" whip over about a 1 meter ground
plane and SHORT cable run (like a 2m whip on the roof of a car) will work
for all passes when the satelite is above 20 to 30 degrees.  At 20 inches
it is a 3/4 wave antenna at UHF with almost 8 dBi gain above 30 degrees.

There are 7 satellies (4 passes average each) for 28 passes a day when you
will receive either 9600 baud data (UO22,KO23,KO25,TO31)  or voice (AO26,
UO14).  And since the antenna is also a 1/4 at 2 meters, it also works
well as the uplink antenna too... ANd add SUNSAT on weekends...

See plots of gain on http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

de WB4APR, Bob