Re: Why

on 3/24/00 4:53 AM, Matt Donohoe at TheRelic@dingoblue.net.au wrote:

> Why do companies resort to using 2.4GHz ?

Because that is one of the unlicensed ISM bands.  There are two main ISM
bands right now: 902-928 (also a ham band) and 2.4 GHz.  There are some 5
GHz bands that will becoming on line soon.

> Aren't there easier frequencies to generate energy on that would be suitable
> for TV
> Transmitters/Phones etc?

Not really.  There are a LOT of very low cost transceiver chipsets, VCOs,
etc. that are available for the 2.4 GHz market.  It is very simple to make a
low power transceiver at this frequency these days.

Why complain?  It's the way things are.  We have primary allocation.  Most
stuff at 2.4 GHz is spread spectrum and at very short distances.

The amount of product at 2.4 GHz is only going to increase substantially in
the next few years.  Ever heard of BlueTooth?  It's an industry standard
that companies like Motorola, Nokia, Lucent and others have signed up to
that will be used for transmitting wireless data, etc.

Chips are being made for BlueTooth that will be complete transceivers and
cost probably less than $2.00 each!

There are lots of applications for this sort of thing from wireless headsets
and microphones to wireless modem cards for PCs, etc.  Fortunately,
BlueTooth is EXTREMELY short range (measured in feet).

It's really a cool technology.  We benefit when there are commercial
applications around us.  It pushes the technological envelope for low cost
parts and then we can cheaply and easily build stuff.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden