Mobile Satellite Operating Resource

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 Mike73@aol.com wrote:

> I'm in the process of updating "The Amateur Satellite Resource Guide"...
> I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has found a source of satellite
> info that proved to be helpful... These resources can be almost anything....

Here's one.  Almost like a WEB page on your HT!

Simply tune your Mobile D700 or Handheld D7 radios to the 144.39 APRS
channel practically anywhere and their Front Panels will capture and
display once every 10 minutes a schedule of upcoming FM satellite passes
in the next 80 minutes.  Or, once the satellites are above the horizon,
their positions are updated every 1 minute and the radios calculate the
Distance and Azimuth to the bird!

In addition, the HT or Mobile display shows the Frequency, and Doppler.
Thats all you need to QSY and work the pass without ANY prior knowledge.
Its all explained here:

   http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/satinfo.html

Now when I am commuting, I just keep an eye on the front panel of the
radio and I can casually see if AO27 or UO14 or any of the Packet birds
are in view.  If I see one pop up, I can QSY and work it!

(All of this assumes that someone in your area is running APRStk which is
the engine that puts this info onto 144.39 for everyone's use).

de WB4APR, Bob