Re: Antenna suggestions

Many thanks to all who responded to my 'Question to a Question' regarding
the Eggbeater/SSB scenario.

My apologies to Richard; it wasn't my intention to take over his thread.

I've tried the K5OE eggbeater on 70cm. I originally built it with LHCP
accidentally. When I switched it to RHCP The SWR went wild and I never got
to the bottom of the problem. My personal experience of building my own
antennas is a long and unsuccessful one. Somehow I just don't have the
knack.

I ordered the M2 2m and 70cm eggbeaters with radial kits and they arrived
about two weeks ago. Any comments about using or not using the radial kits
on either band? I'm thinking about the performance at the horizon as well as
overhead.

The 2m/70cm SSB units I've had for about three months, but they've only ever
been used in the shack so far. Even in the shack they're definitely better
than relying on my FT847's preamp. My linears unfortunately don't allow any
DC component through the coax, so that FT847 handy feature is not available.
I was wondering if it's worth getting the sequencer units?

Now here's the rap... There's about 160' of RG213 (and 'RG213 Type' at that)
going up to the roof. I think that at 70cm I get about 10dB attenuation. But
I can certainly still hear the birds as they go over, just loads of noise
and QSB. I certainly have no problem getting a signal into RS13 on 2m down
the same coax to a vertical.

So last weekend I built a 160' harness of two Westflex 103 (like 9913) coax
lengths, two rotator cables and a multi core control cable for the preamps
and future remote antenna and polarization switching. attenuation is
measured at 5dB on 70cm and 3dB on 2m. I haven't had the nerve to put it
down the side of the apartment block yet...

My QTH problem is a strange one. The visibility aspect is not directly a
problem, as unless I put the antennas on top of a 30' tower on the roof
you're never going to be able to see them from the street. I'm in an urban
area surrounded by other buildings of similar heights. My tenancy is a long
lease (999 years) which is an English legal device. This means you have a
freeholder, who I technically should get permission from to do anything in
the communal parts of the apartment block, like the roof. And we all know
what the easiest answer's going to be if I actually ask. There's about a
dozen 2'-7' sat TV dishes already up there, so with a bit of gradual
incursion I should be able to get something a bit more serious up over time.

Regards, Howard G6LVB