Re: Re: [sarex] ISS Call sign RZ3DZR

Hi, Bruce,

At 08:30 AM 21-03-00 +00-06, Bruce Paige wrote:
>if you had attended the iaru meeting at the san diego symposium, you would
>have heard the discussion on this. there is no precedent for an international
>callsign at this time.

Actually, there is.  And, the point was raised in San Diego.

Call sign series have been allocated for the UN (with which the ITU is
affiliated), the World Meteorological Organization, and, I think, one other
international organization which escapes memory just now.

We were thinking that administrations involved in the ISS program could ask
the ITU Secretary General for a call sign series to be used for
multinational projects in space.  That way, the space station would not
appear to be of a single nation, but, as a "community" project.

Perhaps, this was just wishful thinking.  But, I like the spirit of the idea.

Hope this helps.

73, art.....