Re: Antenna suggestions

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Howard Long wrote:

> comments about the 70cm M2 Eggbeater & SSB Electronics preamp combination,
> as I was about to put that exact setup on the roof of my apartment block in
> the next few days.
> Is the combination really that bad? The QST review back in January 1996
> seems to suggest that the M2 really is pretty good when compared to a
> vertical (which is all I have right now).

For two months I have been running a 20.25" vertical whip (3/4 wavelength)
over a 4 foot square ground plane with a .8 dB NF preamp.  I get these

UO22, KO25, KO23  are receivable above 20 deg, but usually 25
TO31 is receiveable down to 10 most passes
UO14 is hearbable above 20
AO27 is hearable above 30

(Thus I am only hearing about 1/3rd to 1/4th of a pass.)

You can see my GAIN plots of several vertical antennas I experimented with
before I arrived at the 3/4 lambda whip as the best compromise for my
needs:   http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html  donw near the