Re: Antenna suggestions

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Howard Long wrote:

> comments about the 70cm M2 Eggbeater & SSB Electronics preamp combination,
> as I was about to put that exact setup on the roof of my apartment block in
> the next few days.
>
> Is the combination really that bad? The QST review back in January 1996
> seems to suggest that the M2 really is pretty good when compared to a
> vertical (which is all I have right now).

For two months I have been running a 20.25" vertical whip (3/4 wavelength)
over a 4 foot square ground plane with a .8 dB NF preamp.  I get these
results:

UO22, KO25, KO23  are receivable above 20 deg, but usually 25
TO31 is receiveable down to 10 most passes
UO14 is hearbable above 20
AO27 is hearable above 30

(Thus I am only hearing about 1/3rd to 1/4th of a pass.)

You can see my GAIN plots of several vertical antennas I experimented with
before I arrived at the 3/4 lambda whip as the best compromise for my
needs:   http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html  donw near the
bottom.

Bob