Re: Antenna suggestions

Howard,

I also read the eggbeater QST review and based on that I got it. It was
virtually useless until I purchased the SSB preamp. A preamp is a must. I
lost a lot in my 60 foot run to the shack. The SSB Preamp made all the
difference in the world. If I turn the preamp off, I typically cannot hear
the signal, so you can see what a difference it makes.

Regarding the eggbeater I have the 440MHz unit, lots of guys have used
them. I think I am the only one that is disappointed. I can hear the
signals, but they are only slightly above the noise level making copy
rough. For example, the S meter on my FT847 is about S 2 or less for UO14
and S 1 or less for AO27.

If you don't want to take the time and expense of a directional system, I
would purchase the SSB preamp and make an antenna. Following is a snippet
of someone who responded to me. Good luck.

===
Hi Richard:

Before you go to all of the time (and expense) of a yagi system, check
out Jerry's site and see what you can find to help you. I love his
designs and you might just find the right antenna for your situation.

I have a full AZ/EL system running here at my QTH and it really rocks,
but the eggbeaters that I'm running do most of the winter work. (tough
to get the rotor moving in -30 degree temps) That's where the eggbeaters
shine.

Here's Jerry's site: http://member.aol.com/k5oe/

If you don't stick with the eggbeaters, I would reconsider the M2
antennas. They are working on a polarity switching system at this time
and it should be available soon. Call them if you have any questions. If
you do the AZ/EL system, do it right from the start!

Good luck to you!

Mark Fossum - N0NSV

Rich Parry, W9IF