Re: Sunlight and Eclipse Periods

williamb@netc.net.au (William B Magnusson) wrote

> If you require a minute by minute comparison, James Miller's "Plan10" and
> later "Plan13" programs gave this information. The programs were written in
> BBC basic for the BBS Acorn and Archimedes computers. An emlulator to enable
> these programs to be run on a PC is <was> available on the AMSAT-UK web site.

I had a quick look at the AMSAT-UK web site yesterday , but couldn't
see these programs. However there may be a link to my own web site
which does have the files.

The file called SATILL.ZIP includes James Miller's PLAN13 program and
a simple BBC Basic emulator to make it run on a PC.  PLAN13 has also
been converted to run in QBASIC, and is used in the program
SATILL.BAS.  This program calculates the total periods of eclipse and
sunlight as seen by the satellite during each day.

Plan13 is also used in ORBILL.ZIP which which compares calculated
solar eclipses with OSCAR-11 whole orbit data.  Also U2MAG1.ZIP which
compares the calculated Earth's magnetic field with OSCAR-11 whole
orbit data (PLAN13 calculates the satellite's position).

These programs output tabulated data, which may be imported into a
spread sheet or other program for plotting and further analysis.
Being in BASIC they are easily modified to suit individual
requirements and applications.  PLAN13 is very well documented.

The URL is www.users.zetnet.co.uk/clivew/

--
73

Clive    G3CWV