Re: What satellites are current?

on 3/16/00 11:07 AM, Brockwell, Stephen E. at brockwse@fssec.army.mil wrote:

> Joined the list a couple of days ago and enjoyed the information so far.
> Became introduced to satellites by Jeff Johns on the qrp-l list with info on
> working AO-27.  I have listened to it a few times and want to learn more.

WELCOME TO THE BIRDS!!!

> Can anyone point me to a listing of the satellites that are currently
> working?  I have the file on "easy sats" and the faq as well as the Amateur
> Satellite Resource Guide.

Well, the best place is the AMSAT web page.  You can find all the stuff in
the AMSAT NEWS SERVICE section or you can subscribe to it.  It all depends
on what sort of birds you want to work:

SSB/CW: RS-13, RS-15, FO-20, FO-29, AO-10
FM: UO-14, AO-27, SO-25
Digital: I have no idea since I don't work the digital birds much yet.
There are a bunch: UO-22, KO-25??, UO-36, TO-31......and so forth.

> How can I find out the Norad number of ASUSAT and STENSAT that just went up?

Both are dead.  So don't worry about it.  ASUSAT died about 14 hours into
launch as it's batteries depleted.  For some reason, the solar cells didn't
end up getting juice to the batteries and it died.

Stensat?? Who knows.  We've not seen word on it for weeks.  It never was
confirmed that it's really working right.  I don't know if anyone has really
heard their echoes through it.

Bottom line is that the recent launch was a bust for the most part for ham
radio.  It's sad, but true.

73,

Jon
KE9NA