Re: Iridium to Burn

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Jeff Davis wrote:

> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iridium, a U.S. satellite telephone company
> operating under bankruptcy protection, is on the verge of one of the
> most spectacular business flameouts ever -- literally set to burn up
> billions of dollars' worth of Earth-orbiting assets.

One of the objections I have heard about my crusade to find ways to use
some of the AMSATS for mobile vehicle operations has been the comment "so
what, anyone can buy an irridium or Globalstar satellite phone".  Why do
we need that in HAM radio...

Hummh.....  What they have found is that the only people that needed
satellite phones are the rare-exceptions.  Most people think that we hams
are pretty rare and quite exceptional...or eccentric or whatever...

I hate to say this... but... This could be good news for AMATEUR
SATELLITES...  I'm sorry it comes at someone else's expense...

:-(  Bob