Re: new potential band threat

on 3/13/00 6:59 PM, ke6qis@juno.com at ke6qis@juno.com wrote:

> Federal Communications Commission (FCC) officials say they are working on
> rules that would create a trading system in which telecommunications
> companies could bid on frequencies that are owned by other companies but
> are underused.
>
> FCC Chairman Bill Kennard has laid out a series of steps to better
> utilize existing portions of the airwaves. For example, license holders
> that aren't using all of their frequencies could post that availability
> on a website for other interested companies.
>
> Last week, the FCC created a new class of commercial licensees called
> "guard band managers." They will receive their licenses through the
> normal bidding process. But then the managers could turn around and lease
> slices of the airwaves to commercial service providers or third parties.

I don't find this worrisome at all.  It applies to the commercial market
place and commercial license holders.  If I as a commercial entity hold a
license, what this is doing is allowing me to sell an unused license to
someone else and make money on it.  Sounds good to me.

However, the FCC is NOT just selling underutilized spectrum.  From what I
read it is the individual license holders.

Since Amateur radio is a non-commercial, non-moneymaking service and no ham
is licensed for a specific frequency, I don't think any ham is going to be
putting his license up for auction.  Nor do I see any way as to how a
commercial interest would be able to bid on it.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden