Data representation in G3RUH modem

Hi folks,

If I'm not mistaken, the PAM waveform in the discrete implementation
of the G3RUH modem is NRZ-L (level) coded.  In the DSP56002EVM
version, from Doug Braun's site, NRZ-S (inversion, space) coding is
used.  However, I've used both versions for demodulating Pacsat
downlinks.  Am I missing something?

While I'm at it: any suggestions for (or pointers to) clock recovery
algorithms for multi-level PAM?  Should another scrambler polynomial
be considered for obtaining zero crossings in multi-level PAM?  Does
NRZ-I (inversion) coding have advantages over NRZ-L?

Regards,
Johann