Re: re: Iridium to de-orbit their satellites?

Jon, very good summary of the demise of the LEO's!

Has anyone noted the similarity to our amateur LEO's...?  (or they
probably did and I missed it).  But if we keep thinking in terms of
amateur satellties that only do on orbit what we
can now do on the ground, we also have a risky future...

Of course there's always the educational value, and of course, the joy of
amateur radio... but in todays $$$ justification of everything, thats
gonna be a hard sell...

I still think that mobile amateur satellite comms is one small niche  for
us for a few years anyway.  (I still dont have a cell phone)...

We have a total of 10 birds that can use an FM mobile whip uplink.  We
either use 'em or loose'em.  The three 1200 baud ones are virtually
abandoned... already...!

Dont worry about unused irridiums... we have our own unused birds...

In case you missed it, anyone with a 2m FM mobile and a soundcard PC can
uplink to AO16, LO19, and IO26.  Anyone with a Kenwood APRS radio or
anyone with a 9600 baud TNC can uplink to UO22, KO23, KO25, and TO31.
And of course we have the FM voice birds, AO27, UO14, and SO35...

For more info... http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/astars.html

Just some ideas...

Bob