Re: RIP: Iridium

on 3/11/00 10:37 AM, David M. Tipton, PhD at tiptond@psi.com wrote:

> How exactly would we do that?  Could we set up local "Packet/Digital Voice"
> digipeators that go up to the bird and then cross over to their frequencies,
> then have commercially licensed earth stations to handle the uplink/downlink
> portion?

Sure, we can do that at about a dollar a minute!  The commercial stations to
control Irdium are owned by said company which is now belly up.  Are we as
hams going to pay their people to staff their control centers for our data
traffic?

> Kind of a Ham / Commercial / Ham arrangement?

Cost.  The satellites have no other commercial use.  And no one wants to
step forward to buy them.  If some hams want to buy them, great.

If they are useless and no one wants them better to de-orbit them so that
other satellites can be put into their orbital locations, etc.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden