Re: RIP: Iridium

on 3/10/00 9:57 PM, Keith Randino at krandino@snet.net wrote:

> Why??? Someone tell me why they would just de-orbit these? If they are
> programable DSP system or other variants there are countless things that
> these could be made to do. If not by industry then we should try to convince
> whoever it is to let us take at least a few of them for amateur use.

COST.  It costs money to have them up there, to have the ground stations
operational, etc.  If no one is going to use them, why bother with them.  To
the commercial industry it's no big deal.  Also, their frequency band is
specific to the satellite mobile phone applications.  If they can't be used
for that, what good are they?  They aren't near any ham bands.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden