Re: Problem with Sat Tracker

Hi Jim,

I have no idea about the Sat Tracker pin outs but be aware that unless
the Sat Tracker has been reworked for the 450 degree G-5500 rotator,
you have a problem.

The feedback voltage on G-5400, G-5500, and G-5600 systems is
nominally 5 Vdc at full clockwise rotation. This voltage is feed normally
to an 8 bit A to D convertor.  (5 divided by 256)

Presumably the Sat Tracker divides 360 degrees by 256 ( 8 bits)
and uses the resulting constant to match up satellite bearing with
rotator feedback position. This all goes "belly up" when  you need
to divide 450 degrees of the G-5500 by 256 to obtain the same
relative position. The problem is further compounded by the additional
90 degrees to the East that the G-5500 has and which the Sat Tracker
probably  knows nothing about.

Another possible problem is the postioning of the mid meter scale point.
Most 5400/5600 units to my knowledge are centred on North, whereas
the G-5500 is centered on South West. This wll also confuse the original
Sat Tracker algorithms.

Have a look at my web site   www.qsl.net/zl2amd/   My Uni_Trac 2000
system caters for ALL G-5xxx series units as well as providing user
configuration for the G-5500 so that the 450 degrees available can
be used more efficiently.

73
Dave Lamont     ZL2AMD