Arrow w/tripod

In a message dated 3/11/00 12:47:17 PM Mountain Standard Time,
71042.1303@compuserve.com writes:

> So, Lee, how do you deal with the cross-polarization problem with your
>  tripod-mounted Arrow.  Do you have the antenna mounted at a 45-degree
angle?

Actually, I don't use the tripod much on FM birds, but the one I'm using (a
Vivitar) has a little platform that I screw on to the boom of the antenna.  I
made a 'balancer' that from copper pipe and filled with lead shot so that the
friction locks on the tripod don't have to be snugged up very tightly to hold
the antenna in place.  Most of the camera tripods you see today are made of
plastic parts and if you hang a cantilevered weight on them, they will break,
so that's why I made the balancer.  The platform can be tilted from 0 to 90
so I can orient the antenna polarization to maximize the downlink.

I generally use the tripod on linear birds because I just don't have enough
hands to  tune the radio, send some dits, find my downlink, change back to
SSB, key the mic, watch the tracking program, point the antenna, adjust for
Doppler, log the station....you get the picture. :-)

73,

Lee Devlin, KØLEE  (K0LEE)
Greeley, CO
http://members.aol.com/lee810/ham.html