From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Jon Ogden
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 10:42 PM
To: Jeff Davis; AMSAT-BB
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] RIP: Iridium

on 3/10/00 8:47 PM, Jon Ogden at jono@enteract.com wrote:

>> Looks like Iridium will go belly up on March 17 at 11:59pm.
>>
>> http://www.motorola.com/satellite/info/
>>
>> Perhaps someone will find a creative way to put a commercial flop
>> constellation
>> like this to work for amateur radio? :-)
>
> If they can't find a buyer, the satellites will be de-orbited.  So unless
> some wealthy ham puts up the money, these things will be vaporized in a
> matter of weeks.

Back in 1990 when Motorola first announced this we (in Motorola's
engineering community) knew it was going to be a flop.  Cellular technology
was fast taking off and we knew by the time it would be deployed that ground
based systems would be in place.  Additionally, Motorola had just sold a
product group (that I was in) that contained the absolute best microwave
engineers in the country at that time (No, I don't consider myself to have
been among that "best" group.  I was fresh out of college at the time and
found out the hard way about corporate politics and how you are just a cog
in the wheel!).  We could have designed all the satellite stuff easily.  Oh
well.....

I love it when I am right!  :-)

73,

Jon