Re: P3D Telemetry and Experiment Data

Something like this is already being done for ACE (Advanced
Composition Explorer) telemetry. Several of the ground stations are
now using in production mode the software decoder I wrote. They all
send their telemetry frames over a TCP connection to a NOAA machine in
Boulder, which accepts the first one received and sticks it in the
database. See

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ace/ACErtsw_home.html

and click on the "6-hour Plot" and "48-hour Plot" links.

I suggest that any system like this try to preserve some end-to-end
error control to help guard against programming mistakes putting
corrupted data into the system.  Keep the satellite-generated CRC on
the received frame (don't strip or regenerate it) and pass it onto the
central collector, which can check it for validity and discard it if
it fails.

Phil