Re: Antenna Restrictions in Texas and in Cape Town

Hi Dave

It seems you may have missed my devious point.

Of course my tower is a mast and thus illegal under our bylaws.  However,
by feeding the tower at the base, the whole structure with the beam on top
becomes a vertical antenna.  And this vertical antenna stands on the
ground.  I now say to the authorities that this structure is a 1,8MHz
antenna that is mounted directly on the ground and I do not need a mast to
hold it in the air.

I showed the authorities quarter wave antennas for 440, 144, 14 and 28MHz,
and then explained that the tower is exactly the same thing, but it
operates on 1,8MHz.  I also showed them the 14MHz quarter wave mounted on
the ground and it was only 16 feet tall and it is the same situation as the
1,8MHz tower.  Same antenna, different frequency.

The city council cannot dispute my low band vertical antenna, since the
bylaw only prohibits a "radio mast" bigger than a certain size, it does not
prohibit a "radio antenna" of any size.

The city council would have a hard time in future to try and regulate a
specific antenna or any antenna, because our Bill of Rights would recognise
my right to erect an antenna to make my radio work.  It would take years
for such legislation to see the light and there are more important laws to
pass.  Meanwhile, we will watch the proceedings from the sidelines and
object when the drafts are published for public comment.

Regards
Deon ZR1DQ