From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 2:53 PM
To: TAPR APRS Special Interest Group
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Whats in Helium?

While prototyping our next APRS MIM high-altitude telemetry Balloon, I
filled up a party balloon to 18" with helium from the balloon store.

One  Day later it had lost ALL its lift (as expected), but it was still
2/3rds inflated.

What is this 2/3rds if it aint helium?  Did I get sold some bad gas?
Or does party gas not contain mostly Helium?

THis is not just a one time observation.  Kids balloons all seem to
shrivel to about 1/2 volume once all the Helium has permeated out of the
balloon.  What's still in there and did I pay for it?

WB4APR