Re: Ultraviolet Degradation

Hi Cliff,

I like your idea.  As an engineer, I consider simplicity a form of
elegance.  As a backup method, this should work well.

I don't know much about your power (and cash) budget, but an excellent
material to try for a release method is Pyrofuze.  This is a bi-metallic
wire made of either palladium over aluminum or vice versa.  The alloying of
palladium and aluminum is extremely exothermic.  If you heat this wire
above the point where the reaction starts (a few hundred degrees), the
exothermic reaction will cause it to rapidly rise in temperature to above
3000 F.  It is much like a pyrotechnic squib in that a small pulse of
energy causes it to release much more.  I know it is used in military and
aerospace applications.  One nice thing in many applications is that no
gases are released during the reaction.

Pyrofuse is made by Sigmund Cohn company of Mount Vernon, NY.
sigcohn@ix.netcom.com

         73,  Barry L. Ornitz     WA4VZQ     ornitz@tricon.net