Re: Ultraviolet Degradation

In a message dated 3/8/00 12:57:23 AM Mountain Standard Time,
ornitz@tricon.net writes:

> Cliff Buttschardt, K7RR, asked:
>
>   >We need a material that can wrap around this small cube similar
>   >to a rubber band around a newspaper and restrain the antenna
>   >elements that are to "pop" out at {after?} launch.  We need a
>   >material that is VERY susceptible to UV radiation rather than UV
>   >resistant.  The idea here is to allow the antennas to deploy when
>   >enough UV from the sun degrades the antenna restraint in orbit.
>   >Got any ideas what material to use?

Rather than attempting to use UV which takes a lot of time, why not use a
magnifying lens to concentrate heat on the polymer when it faces the sun.
This would be equivalent to the Stensat approach, but completely passive.

Lee Devlin, KØLEE  (K0LEE)
Greeley, CO
http://members.aol.com/lee810/ham.html