Re: threat to 2.4 GHz.?

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Andrew Reynolds wrote:

>  I saw something yesterday that makes me wonder if there might be
> a new threat to our amateur satellite allocations coming around ...

> ... [a system] that used a 2.4 GHz. transmitter to distribute TV and
> audio signals over "an entire house" with what looked like a small
> omni antenna on top of the transmitter box.

Yep, these are the WAVECOMM's and look-alkes.  ATV users are buying them
up like hotcakes since they make great ATV links.  WIth some amateur mods
you can get up to 20 dB more out of them for reasonably good FM TV links
over a few km.

So yes, THey are out there and we will have to deal with it.

My approach is to try to get a 2.4 GHz ATV OUTPUT with the highest
possible power output I can ontop of the water tower and to keep it busy
and radiating as often as possible.  TO burn a hole in the frequency so to
speak.  SO that when we need the frequency for HAM use or to quiet the
frequency for P3D, "we" have control over the channel, and not the
cousumers and their set-top-boxes.

These devices have 4 selectible channels, of which only 1 or 2 is in the
amateur band, so let them move to the non ham channels.

Sort of a "dog-in-the-manger" approach, but its the old "use 'em or loose
'em" philosophy too.... :-(

Bob