Re: PJ8 Sint Maarten

In a message dated 3/7/00 7:49:20 AM Eastern Standard Time, kb2wqm@juno.com
writes:

> Most photo tripods allow you to rotate  90 degrees. If I find the d/l a
>  lot stronger at  a certain orientation, I just rotate the antenna to
>  match on transmit. I'm usually set up at  a rare grid when I'm using the
>  Arrow, otherwise I just operate mobile. I find that you can track the
>  bird's much better, this also frees up your hands to log contact's.

Exactly the same for the guys in PJ8. Their tripod allows 90 degrees
rotation. They are also using an ARR receive preamp, so they can be even
sloppier with their antenna orientation and still hear well. I purposely set
them up this way to try and make sure they could hear the birds as well as
possible. Tis better to hear well and not be heard than to be heard and not
hear. So far it's working good for them.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator