Re: threat to 2.4 GHz.?

on 3/7/00 5:09 AM, Andrew Reynolds at calliban@sinnfree.sinnfree.org wrote:

> I saw something yesterday that makes me wonder if there might be
> a new threat to our amateur satellite allocations coming around
> the corner.
> A relative of mine (who will remain nameless for obvious reasons)
> asked me for some advice on a device they'd seen advertised on
> TV. They'd videotaped a presentation on the thing (QVC, now you
> know why the above name drop) where they talked about a system
> that used a 2.4 GHz. transmitter to distribute TV and audio
> signals over "an entire house" with what looked like a small
> omni antenna on top of the transmitter box.
> Now I know that the FCC allows these types of low-power devices,
> but the signals that we're talking about from the satellites aren't
> S-9, so I thought it might be a good idea to pass along a 'head up'
> to all on the list on this one.

2.4 GHz is a shared band.  We do have primary allocation though.  Hopefully
the directivity of your antennas pointed skyward will help in preventing
pickup of these devices, cordless phones, etc.

I believe all consumer devices must be spread spectrum, which means they'll
just raise the noise floor on a typical all mode RX.  I doubt they'll be any
more troublesome than the cordless phones, wireless LANS, etc. that are
already in place.

73,

Jon
KE9NA