Re: ISS downlinks today?

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Chris Elmquist wrote:

> .. any downlinks  from the ISS ...that one might tune into...?
> A number of coworkers are interested in visual sitings of ISS and are
> encountering alot of trouble in actually spotting it.  I thought it
> would be cool if we could also "hear" it to increase the confidence...

Here is a possiblity.  Use a scanner tuned to 217.98 MHz in SSB mode with
a beam pointed at the intersection of the satellite track and a 90.5/271.5
azimutal line going through the Naval Space Radar site in north texas and
you should hear a ping from their 80 Meggawatt CW xmtr..  This radar line
extends from South Carolina through SanDiego.  So it applies for all USA
passes.

Not a simple answer, but a fun cahllenge (That I personally have not
gotten around to...:-(

For details search for NAVSPASUR

Bob, WB4APR
US Naval Academy Satellite Ground Station.