Re: [aprssig] Re: Publicity Special Event & a new movie, Frequency

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Roy Bost wrote:

> Could some one re-post Rob's message?  His posting never made it to my
> computer!

OK, here is the full text about the Frequency Movie:  Unfortunatelly it
was originally in HTML, thats why I only excerpted from it...

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Maybe you've heard that there's a new movie
coming out, &quot;Frequency&quot;, which features ham radio as a significant
element of the story line.&nbsp; It's done in the sci-fi/thriller genre, and
stars Dennis Quaid &amp; some other high-quality Hollywood thespians.&nbsp; It's
a story about a cop who QSOs with his father, a firefighter who died 30 years
earlier, and who together alter the time-line surrounding their personal lives,
for both better AND worse.&nbsp; The thriller part involves how they get out of
the consequences of their temporal meddling.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT color=#000000
size=2>The sci-fi linchpin, however, is with Amateur Radio: the dad's activity
in the hobby, dad's old &quot;real&quot;, glows-in-the-dark radio, and the
unprecedented solar conditions that prevail in both time periods (right around
earlier &amp; later World Series games).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I'd like to propose that we, our clubs, and as
many other hams as we can pull in, conduct a Special Event to mark the opening
of the movie (on a Friday night), and maybe the day after (on a Saturday
afternoon).&nbsp; I see our new licensees, the ARES folks, and perhaps even some
county firefighters &amp; other Emergency Services folks, as
participants.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>The movie is due to be released Friday, April
28, 2000, so that gives us some time to put some publicity together -- a call to
ARRL to help (maybe even help coordinate at the national level!), theater
chains, newspapers, fliers (?), etc.&nbsp; Who knows?&nbsp; We might even
coordinate a little with New Line Cinema for some mutual beneficial visibility
-- free for them, maybe priceless for us.&nbsp;
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>(New Line Cinema, Inc., is the company that's
both producing and distributing this movie.&nbsp; I'm sure we've all seen at
least one of their movies -- &quot;The Mask&quot;, &quot;Corina, Corina&quot;,
&quot;Dumb &amp; Dumber&quot;, &quot;The Last Man Standing&quot;, &quot;The
Lawnmower Man&quot;, &quot;Pleasantville&quot;, &quot;Wag the Dog&quot;,
&quot;Boiler Room&quot; (current) ... among others.&nbsp; With these sorts of
releases, we stand a good chance of backing something a bit more than just a
fizzle.)</FONT></FONT></DIV></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>We could set up outside area movie theaters,
after proper coordination with their managers, and communicate with each other,
accept Radio Grams for the NTS, and maybe get to talk about the new licensing
structure, distribute literature, etc.&nbsp; I suspect that 80m &amp; 40m would
be great for night time ops, especially for us local contacts, and we could do
matinee ops on higher bands.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT color=#000000 size=2>One CW op
per station seems mandatory, if only to grab the attention of passers-by, but
SSB would be the mainstay.&nbsp; Packet radio, and even APRS, could be added to
emphasize that Amateur Radio is definitely NOT being left in the technological
dust.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>I've already spoken to Mike Wilson, manager of
the new Hoyts &quot;Bowie Cinema 14&quot; theaters.&nbsp; Although he hadn't
heard about &quot;Frequency&quot; (due to a 2-week planning horizon, typically),
he seemed receptive to the idea.&nbsp; I suspect that many theater managers,
especially of franchises, would be interested in any sort of significant
publicity -- competition with video tape, digital media, &amp; all that.&nbsp;
I'm on the hook to give Mr. Wilson a return call in the next few days, after
he's had a chance to ask his contacts about the movie.&nbsp; I'd like to get
some idea of ham interest &amp; backing before I do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>What do you think?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Best (and hopeful) regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Rob / W3RUM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>